Philippines Under Siege: Solidarity for Justice and Peace – A capacity building training workshop and conference
The overall goal of the conference is to equip organizations and individuals with the tools to intensify Human Rights work through capacity building. The training will bring together expertise from across Canada and worldwide, enhancing our understanding of the human rights context in the Philippines, developing a clearer understanding of the Canadian connection, sharing strategies for actions, and strengthening our skills in political lobbying in Canada. The event will take place in Vancouver from the 22nd to October 24, 2021.
The objectives of the conference:
- Strengthening and expanding the Civil Society Canadian Networks/ faith communities working on human rights in the Philippines.
- To strategize how to implement (lobby, education, communication strategy, etc.) the outcomes of Investigate PH in 2021-2022.
- Design a workshop that will explain the Magnitsky Act and how the act may be used in the Canadian context.
- Conduct training on the International Criminal Court (ICC) and collect appropriate information to prepare a paper to be submitted to the ICC on the extrajudicial killings and human rights violations of the Duterte Government.
- Expand our understanding and knowledge of Canadian links to HR violations, particularly in mining exploration and operation.